Monday, June 8, 2015

The Garden

I am posting this at David's request, but this year has been especially fertile so I suppose I should document. I am learning about growing lettuce, kale, spinach, tomatoes, broccoli, carrots, zucchini, cucumbers and squash. I now know what bolted means (the plant has started to flower and produce seeds so the spinach or lettuce is bitter) and that you just plant more of it. I think things bolt in the hot summer, but my spinach bolted early.  The craziest thing to me was that all of this minus the tomatoes was stated by a seed in the raised bed. No grow lights, no plants inside. Just plopped the seeds in the dirt. Amazing to me how simple it can be. Maybe not all years will be this easy, but this year it was! It's addicting growing things. Makes me feel useful. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment